At the foundation of our strategy is a science-based sustainability framework developed by The Natural Step, an international NGO. The framework is rooted in principles stating that in a sustainable society, “nature is not subject to systematically increasing concentrations of substances from the earth’s crust (such as fossil fuels and heavy metals), concentrations of substances produced by society (such as antibiotics and endocrine disruptors), or degradation by physical means (such as deforestation and drowning of groundwater tables). Consequently, in a sustainable society, there are no structural obstacles to people’s health, influence, competence, impartiality and meaning.”
Our Retail Branding and Information Solutions business also employs the Future Fit Benchmark, a set of science-based goals. When met, these goals constitute “the breakthrough point beyond which a company stops exacerbating global problems and starts delivering positive societal value to help solve them.”
We’ve worked with The Natural Step since 2014 to align our goals with its framework and integrate its principles into our business. The Natural Step framework is the basis for our own environmental and social guiding principles:
● Don’t pollute with extracted materials.
● Don’t pollute with manufactured materials.
● Don’t over-harvest or over-encroach on living systems.
● Don’t impede people’s wellness, influence, competence, equity and meaning.
● Discover and capture lost value at every stage of the value chain.
● Empower all of our people to innovate and create value.
● Embrace the collaboration that is inherent to sustainability.
● Create shared value for our customers, their value chains and the communities we serve.
More information about The Natural Step is available at www.thenaturalstep.org.